The power of disconnecting

In an age of social media dominating every aspect of our life, from what we choose to wear, who we talk to, what makeup we purchase and how we get motivated to get the to the gym, it’s no surprise that when something becomes the norm there’s a trend against it. When our parents moved to Facebook, we moved on to Snapchat, the rise in e-readers has made reading physical books a novelty to be enjoyed, and with the dependance on our smart phones ever growing, we see the release of the Nokia 3310 back onto shelves.

You may have noticed that I have been a little quiet on here over the last month. The truth is I had no inspiration, I am living in a hot country where everyone on Instagram is dressing for autumn and to me it sucked because I felt like my summer content just wasn’t what anyone wanted to see. Right now though I’m back in the UK, having been a bit poorly with a stomach bug last week I’ve spent time visiting family and friends and generally just keeping only one eye on my Instagram feed. I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed not giving a flying fig about my follower count and just enjoying sitting in a coffee shop with my Mum talking about what we’re going to be doing at Christmas.

This is an ever growing trend amongst the lifestyle gurus and it’s simple. Leave your phone at home, on your desk, with someone else and just go out – grab a coffee with a colleague, take a short walk, eat! The point being that this little ritual once a day is a form of nurturing your mind and doing something small for yourself to better your overall wellbeing. I’m very guilty of taking my phone with me where ever I go (even just to the kitchen to make a cuppa) but lately I’ve learned that I just don’t need to and having it with me is a hinderance.

Thanks for reading!

Arabella x

Share:

6 Comments

1. November 28, 2018 / 6:18 pm

About a month ago I took on an Instagram challenge to try and grow my organic following in 1 week. It was the most hectic week ever and in the end it was also the reason why I have been using Instagram a lot less since. Is there anything more useless in life than worrying about the amount of followers on Insta? 😀

But it also made me look at those near-perfect pictures rolling up my Insta feed from a completely new perspective: I don’t just see a pretty picture (although they are very pretty!) any more. Instead I think how much time and effort had been put into getting that one perfect picture. How many discarded shots were there, etc. And again I think my life is too short and precious to be stressing about one photo per day. x

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

• arabellawright
      Author
      November 28, 2018 / 6:51 pm

You are so right! My husband commented on the fact I’m not on there as much lately and I said to him that I just thought hours of my life are wasted on gaining a number and I don’t want to live like that. So lately I’ve been engaging a little on my following feed, putting the odd pic up (mostly blog photos or iphone ootds) and leaving it at that!

2. Lisa Autumn
    November 29, 2018 / 11:55 am

Such a well written post babe! Well done!

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

• arabellawright
      Author
      November 29, 2018 / 1:18 pm

Thank you Lisa! x

3. Lauren
    December 15, 2018 / 2:26 am

Hey 🙂

You mentioned that you felt like your ‘summery content’ wasn’t what anyone wanted to see in the build up to autumn/winter. However, in the Southern Hemisphere we are heading into summer, so perhaps it’s a case of aiming for a different market? Many fashion bloggers seem to be UK or USA based, so down here in the Southern Hemisphere we are mostly stuck with watching content that doesn’t fit the season we are in. I know I would love to see more content that suited the season I was currently experiencing!

If you were going to start doing aiming towards these audiences, it would be awesome if you could link alternatives that are available down here (e.g. NZ and Australia) as we can be quite limited and/or cost of shipping can be really high. (I would expect you wouldn’t want to shop our brands due to the cost of shipping).

I really enjoy watching your content – we are similar sizes, so it’s nice to get an idea of how something will actually look on me!

• arabellawright
      Author
      December 19, 2018 / 10:29 am

Hi Lauren,

Thanks so much for your comment – it’s good to know that there are people out there who do want to see the summery content! I am definitely still working on my summer style, I’m much better at Autumn/Winter and don’t feel I’ve nailed the warmer weather yet haha. Only issue is getting items in Bermuda, I tend to stock up in the UK where there isn’t a lot of summery clothes atm but do plan on finding more LA brands to order in (if the shipping isn’t too crazy) so watch this space 🙂 x